Hospitality of Pakistan is renowned. In Pakistan, guests are a gift from God, and many people are honored to treat them as such. During my travels through Pakistan, people have…
- Invited me to stay in their homes despite not knowing me at all.
- Slept on the floor so I could sleep in their bed.
- Fed me a million and one times, even when they were fasting during Ramadan.
- Taken the time to show me around their cities, villages, regions.
- Gifted me everything from clothing to food to souvenirs.
- … and then some.
The hospitality of Pakistan is incredible and continues to amaze me even after repeat visits to the country.
More if they help you a lot over a period of time. Help out around the house, or buy gifts of fruits, sweets, or nuts (called “dried fruits” in Pakistan). Meat is also a good gift for poorer people in villages. Bring small gifts from your own country or home for people who host you.
Sometimes people will not accept, but it doesn’t hurt to offer. If it’s a matter of pride over money, you can always give a little financial gift to the kids, or leave money somewhere in their house where they’ll find it.